Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

What is ADIS tonic pupil - I was diagnosed with it, yes.

What is ADIS tonic pupil - I was diagnosed with it
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: yes. None
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: they said it was a brain virus that caused it but never told me what kind of virus

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Adie's pupil was previously called Holmes-Aide pupil. It's just like you said, either a virus or sometimes auto-immune (where our own immune system has injured the nerve to the eye) is usually the cause but very often we never find the cause or exact virus which caused it. It leads to reduced ability of the pupil to change size and can give some blurring of the vision. It would not be expected to get any worse and may improve on its own or stay the same as now. Main treatments are using eye drops, glasses if needed and sunglasses to protect from excessive light if very bright outside. I hope that helps, I'll include a few links for you to read for more information. All the very best.

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-is-adies-pupil

https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/adie-syndrome/

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thankyou so much! That’s helped me a lot xx

You are very welcome indeed, glad I could help. Come back if you've further questions. All the very best.