Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I have contact lenses for astigmatism but was wondering if I

Customer Question

I have contact lenses for astigmatism but was wondering if I could wear glasses over the top because it would help with magnification and anti reflection UV protection etc and also would I need a custom prescription or would it just be non prescription as I have contacts in to correct the astigmatism
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 21 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr K. I have over 25 years of clinical experience and look forward to answering your question. i may need more information from you, so I may ask for that. My goal is to provide a complete answer to your question and to be sure you are satisfied with that answer.

I am sorry that you are having this problem but will do my best to assist you and answer your questions.     Yes you can.    Are you having trouble with reading or far distance?

You can always wear nonprescription sunglasses for glare.   You can wear non prescription reading glasses for far.   Your opthamoiogist may give you a prescription for driving glasses if that is the issue.   But you should not wear glasses over the contacts all the time.

I am not sure at what distance you are having issues.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. Please let me know if you have additional concerns or need me to clarify something. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I put o my prescription glasses over my contacts and apart form the fact it was blurry things looked larger and clearer I just wondered if non prescription glasses would help with things like glare and also magnification of objects
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I would be wearing them over my contacts to play football soccer in
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Which lenses type would be best for plying football
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 21 days ago.

I do not think you should wear contacts at all while playing sports     Safety glasses would be best.   Please check with your ophthalmologist. Does this help to answer your question? Please let me know if there is anything you do not understand and if you have any feedback for me.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Okay last thing can you recommend a good cleaning solution for glasses that doesn’t ruin the anti reflective coating
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 20 days ago.

I’m sorry but I can’t .   That is not really a medical question.   I would address that question to the optometrist.