Dr. Nickols M
Dr. Nickols M, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Expert
115571763

Best medication to prevent barosinusitus when flying?

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Nickols M replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Nickols M. It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer

Dear customer, it is a pleasure to serve you, I want to tell you that there is a range of possibilities for this type of situation the drawback is that it is closely related to the anatomical structure of each patient in particular some people who have very small sinuses which hinders the regulation of external and internal pressures and others have sinuses large enough to accommodate a large amount of mucus that sometimes reduces sinus space considerably preventing proper pressure regulation, the recommendation in this case is to initiate treatment at least 24 to 48 hours before with a sodium chloride spray administering a spray in each nostril every 8 hours can be very useful a spray of mometasone furoate which is a potent corticosteroid that reduces inflammation of the turbinates and sinuses administering a spray in each nostril every 8 hours. a spray in each nostril daily for one or two days before the flight in addition to this may be necessary potent antihistamines such as cetirizine tablets of 10 mg 1 pill every night before sleeping 5 days before the flight in the same way maintain a constant hydration to improve the distribution of fluids at body level, With these recommendations should improve the situation while you manage to go to the doctor who will surely perform a thorough physical examination accompanied of course analysis and specific studies such as a skull X-ray or a CT scan in the worst case which will help us to properly visualize the anatomy of the sinuses.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I could probably do with surgery but am reluctant to do this hence want the best alternative to this etc
Will co-codomol lower the pain?

Yes, of course, it is a very good analgesic.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
when landing the pain should be substantially less and manageable?

Yes, of course, descent is the fundamental treatment of otic barotrauma due to altitude.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How about the frontal sinuses

The same thing happens in all sinuses.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
co codomal could be a solution to flying without excruciating pain?

Exactly, this medication every 8 hours prior to the flight can be very useful.