Dr. Nickols M
Dr. Nickols M, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Expert
115571763

Our son Alfie had a routine eye test a few weeks ago at

Customer Question

Our son Alfie had a routine eye test a few weeks ago at Specsavers St Andrews – all was fine. At the same time he has developed an repetitive function where he appears to “stare” (his eyes widen) and then comes back into focus - this happens mainly when watching the TV and when outside. We initially took him to our GP who diagnosed that he had a minor “tic” and that it wasn’t really anything to worry about. This repetitive function has gradually become worse and he’ll now compensate by pulling his eye lids down and complaining of sore eyes. I re-contacted Specsavers St Andrews yesterday who didn’t feel it necessary to see him again but suggested he may have dry eyes and to take “Hycosan Extra Dry” – which we will do.I’m not convinced that either diagnosis (tic or dry eyes) accurately reflects Alfie’s condition and would like another opinion.
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: less than 1 month ago
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your son's medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Nickols M replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Nickols M. It's a pleasure to attend to your question.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

I cannot take your call at this time, but I will gladly let another expert take your call.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay

we can continue via chat if you want

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can someone pic up this please?

Can you tell me his age?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
5
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I can send some videos if that would help?

Does he take any medication regularly?

sure, send the video please

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No medication
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Do you have an phone number I can send them to?

sorry dear, you should send the video here

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Just sent the first one
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (L1L322L)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (QL66QLZ)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
You should have 3 videos now
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Please confirm you have received
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello?
Please give me a moment
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How are we doing with those video's?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi. I contacted you over an hour ago - can you tell me when you will look at my issue?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay. I'd like a reply within the next 10 minutes as I am leaving my work desk. I can't leave a positive review based on what i have seen so far....
sorry dear i had problem with my internet

but i am back

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
okay - have you watched the video's?

Dear customer, it is a pleasure to attend you, valuing your intervention I want to tell you that the first two video clips shows clearly what you want to say to me and indeed they are minor tics that sometimes in certain stages of life can be triggered with a self-limited condition that revert by themselves without any treatment or medication, the recommendation in this case is to study the possibility of increasing the time spent in open spaces, the realization of leisure activities, decrease the time of exposure to LED light from mobile devices such as telephones, cell phones or televisions, since it has been proven that the LED light emitted by these devices considerably alters the nervous layer of the eyeball that transmits the visual nerve impulse, producing alterations in behavior and also in the circadian rhythm of the sleep-wake cycle, which can trigger modifications in wakefulness during the day and sleep at night, if with these recommendations after four to six weeks there is no improvement and there is a worsening of symptoms your doctor can perform a complete medical history with a thorough physical examination in addition to specific studies such as a brain MRI or a polysomnography with an electroencephalogram to help us determine what is happening, even though everything we say will be purely hypothetical and is not associated with any particular pathology, in these cases the recommendation is to maintain what in medicine we call expectant management, simply wait to see if there is any other type of alteration.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you that is helpful.

is there anything else I can help you with?