Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

I have had red eyes for a few months now, I have dry eyes

Customer Question

Hi I have had red eyes for a few months now, I have dry eyes and every eye drop from the doctors has had no effect in clearing the redness
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: about 4 months I wake up with red eyes and it does not improve during the day
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.

I am sorry to hear. How old are you please? Do you take any regular medications? And what eye drops have you had so far?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No medication, vizulize
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
50
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.

And have you seen an Optician for a formal examination or just your GP?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Phone not working
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.

A call isn’t necessary

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.

Have you seen an optician yet for a formal eye examination?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
they said I have very dry eyes, I just want the redness to go
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.
If the redness is secondary to dry eyes alone then this will resolve with consistently using lubricating eye drops.

If you have hay fever or the symptoms are worse in the warmer months then an antihistamine can also help.

Another option to help is frequent use of a warm compress to encourage the eye lids to drain and provide more tears which will also help lubricate the eyes.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’ve tried warm compresses and everything I’ve read online, but still redness all day, what eye drops do you recommend
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.

If all you have is dry eyes then any lubricant will work. We tend to use Mims artificial tears

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.

If it has been for some time then it would also be worth having bloods exclude a systemic cause to your symptoms

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’ve tried artelax, blink eye drops, vizulize, siccasam none of them work
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.
Then I would question if you just have dry eyes then.
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.

As if you did, a lubricant would solve the problem, unless there is underlying damage which would be picked up on examination or a systemic cause to your symptoms

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What could it be
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.
There are many autoimmune causes that can be identities with some blood tests to look for evidence of inflammation or thyroid dysfunction
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It’s takes so long to get an appointment to see a doctor to ask them
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.
I understand that it does take time. Privately would be quicker if that is an option for you.