How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can a childs surname be changed without the fathers consent?

Customer Question

Can a childs surname be changed without the fathers consent? His name is ***** ***** childs birth certificate.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your question.
If the child was born after December 2002 and the father is named on the birth certificate then you can only change the name with the father's consent or an Order from the Court.
Indeed if the child is under 16 then even if the child was born before December 2002 you will need an Order from the Court if you wish the passport to be in the new name.
The courts are always reluctant to agree to a full name change unless there is a clear reason for doing so.