How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am married and have a jilted girlfriend who is threateneing

Customer Question

I am married and have a jilted girlfriend who is threateneing me with libel (yes silly) and to tell my wife. She keeps calling and texting me. Can I protect myself under the law
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Have you notified the police of this harassment?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No but my ex wants to have a telephone conference at 9,30 on the morning.

She says that she will agree not to contact me but what she wants me to agree us likely to include:

1. Not leaving my wife
2. Not going on internet dating sites which I is funny as this us hiw I met her!!
3. Giving up my new girlfriend

I don't see this type of verbal agreement being legally valid particularly as it is under duress. Can I have your views on this?

Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Why are you even discussing this with her?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Because my wife's mother is likely to die in the next few days and she is threatening to contact her tomorrow.
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
I am afraid that there is nothing you can do to prevent this person telling your wife about your relationship.
You can however stop this person harassing you by reporting her behaviour to the police who will warn her not to contact you of your family further