How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35067
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

What is the normal procedure for divorce? My wife an I seperated

Customer Question

What is the normal procedure for divorce? My wife an I seperated 6 months ago. She and my son moved out of our family home while I have remained there. Nothing has happened yet in terms of starting the divorce and I'm unclear what it means to start 'divorce proceedings'. Do I have to wait a minimum of 2 years to start the proceedings (we live in Northern Ireland) or can I do that now and what process does that take?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
The only immediate grounds for divorce are Unreasonable behaviour or Adultery - otherwise you will have to live apart for two years (if you both agree to the divorce) or for five years if not
You can find out more here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My wife is trying to move to another country with my son. Would this count as unreasonable behaviour?

Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Moving out of the house with the child is Unreasonable - as is any irritating behaviour which you found difficult to live with