How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son and his wife are separated she has another partner and

This answer was rated:

My son and his wife are separated she has another partner and now he also has met someone they both have a daughter of 5yrs old my son saw his daughter 2 days one week and 3 days the next and she has decided that he will see his daughter once every 2wks as shes not happy about him moving on with his life.I also dont get to see my granddaughter who i picked up from school we are very close family and we are all effected by this please help us thankyou
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question.
When did this change happen?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This has changed since sunday she has told my son you will phone her on this mobile between 7am and8am then the mobile will be switched off and again between 7pm and 8pm you will pick her up from school at 3pm a wk on fri drop her off by 5pm sun

Just to check - he was having her overnight each week?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes thats correct


The law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
In the long term the mother is not entitled to dictate what contact your son should have.
He should try and arrange to discuss matters with his ex using Family mediation ( but if that fails he can apply to the court for a shared residence order to ensure that he is again able to have the child on the same pattern as before.
He can get help and advice from Families need Fathers (
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thankyou so much for your help i will let my son read your reply and im sure it will be of help to him thankyou again

I hope all goes well.
He can find all the court forms he needs on the website
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How effective will the Residence Court order be? I have heard this order doesn't guarantee access to your child if the mother (whom the childs resides with) does not comply with the agreed arrangements and can change her mind at any time. In this case what route can my son take to guarantee fair access to his daughter?

In fact the enforcement of such orders improved a few years ago and in your son's case the ultimate threat would be that his daughter actually lives with him if her mother will not promote contact