How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I separated from ex 7 years ago since I have had my daughter

Customer Question

I separated from ex 7 years ago since I have had my daughter every weekend since apart from the odd one, over the last 9 months she has restricted my access gradually since she become pregnent with her new partner, my relationship with Chloe has got more difficult during this time I have been to see the school councillor for mediation between both parents And step parents. The school and myself deemed this meeting to be very proactive and had a plan in place to help all parties, after the meeting I had a txt from my ex banning me from access to the school and my daughter. I have spoken to my daughter who has said she does not want to see me ( I believe this is due to infulence from her mum) I have offered to pay for both of us to see an indepentent councillor to help this was rejected where do I stand to get to see my daughter even if it appears she does not want to see me ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
How old is your daughter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My daughter is 9 years old after dec 2003 so I dont get auotomatic parental resposibilty.

Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
I assume you mean before December 03?
Whether or not you have Parental Responsibility is irrelevant in this matter.
The law says that a child is entitled to have regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this.
At 9 your daughter is too young for the decision about contact to be hers.
You need to offer to discuss this matter using Family mediation ( (not quite the same as the process you have been through) and if that fails you need to apply to the Court for a Defined Contact Order AND form Parental Responsibility in order that you can once again be involved in your child's school life.
You can get help and support from Families need Fathers (