How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

my and my ex partner split during pregnancy. i know she will

Customer Question

my and my ex partner split during pregnancy. i know she will be awkward with contact so i want joint custody, do you think ill be wasting my time whats your advice please?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

How old is the child now or yet unborn?

What contact do you have at the moment if any?

Is she working? Are you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hes 2 weeks old. theres no agreed contact yet its just when convenient with her , the mum. shes part time working and i work full time. recently changed jobs for more convenient hours for babys sake.

she has another child by another man who she has full custody of. this case the dad has took her to court for a contact ordr not joint custody.


Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

Would you want joint custody now or at some stage in the future?

A court is
unlikely to award it to you now, and would only award joint custody to you in
the future if you had already had a major part in the child's life.

should try to resolve matters using family mediation

it is quicker and less confrontational than court it isnt necessarily cheaper

If she attempts to stop contact then you need to try and
discuss matters with her using. If this fails then you can apply to the court
for a defined contact order which will formalise arrangements.

The necessary forms are available on the here

Contact orders
have a warning in whereby if she does not comply with the order, you can make a
further application to court and she can be given a criminal conviction which
can include community service.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I will be
online and off-line.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open.

Thank you.