How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My sons girlfriend has just ended their relationship for no

Customer Question

My sons girlfriend has just ended their relationship for no apparent reason and they have a 3month old daughter. He's on the birth certificate as her dad. He would like to know his rights but finding it a difficult subject to think about.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please can you tell me what his rights are for access to the child and what he would need to do to get joint custody
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question
Your son has Parental Responsibility for his child and the right to be consulted on all major issues in her life -such as which schools she goes to and health matters - and his ex cannot take her abroad without his agreement or an order from the court.
The child has a legal right to regular personal contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
That contact could include overnight contact - if not immediately then as soon as the contact settles down - and increasingly this is leading to shared residence arrangements.
Your son should try and discuss matters with his ex using Family Mediation
He can find out more here