How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have just broken up with my girlfriend and she says she is

This answer was rated:

I have just broken up with my girlfriend and she says she is pregnant and wont let me have any contact with the child is born. Can she stop me from having contact? She says she is the mother and has more rights.
How long were you together?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We were together 7 months last year then we split for 3 months and we have been back together a month. She is 19 and I am 23.

She is in for a bit of a
shock, then if that's what she thinks she is going to do.

She will not be able to stop you seeing the child
and if she refuses point-blank, she will end up in court. She would be better
offering you some contact.

It will be a short period at 1st then
increasing as the child gets older.

should try to resolve matters using family mediation

it is quicker and less confrontational than court it isnt necessarily cheaper

If this fails then she can apply to the court for a
defined contact order which will formalise arrangements.It might put some sense
into her without involving court or solicitors

The necessary forms are available on the here

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today
because I will be online and off-line.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open.

Thank you.

James Mather and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay, thats helpful. Will she be entitled to money off me? I only earn 120 quid a week.

CSA rates of child maintenance are 15% for one child, 20% for 2 and 25% for
3 or more children living 100% with the resident parent. That is reduced by 1/7
for each 52 nights the child stays with the non-resident parent. There is also
a reduction in the non-resident parent is responsible for other children. CSA
child maintenance is payable till the children reach 19 years old or leave
full-time non-advanced education. Non-advanced education is generally classed
as a level, not University, but there are some further education courses which
are not classed as advanced. Full-time courses can be as little as 12 hours per

education courses include:

a degree

Diploma of Higher Education (DHE)

NVQ level 4 or above

BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Higher National Diploma (HND)

teacher training

'Non-advanced' education includes the following:


A levels

NVQ/SVQ level 1, 2 or 3

BTEC National Diploma, National Certificate and 1st Diploma

SCE higher grade or similar

until your income increases you will
pay a reduced rate. While your income is between £100 and £200 a week (see page
10 in this brochure ) of 5 pounds +25% of everything over £100.
So, you would be paying 5 pounds being the basic standard amount and another 5
pounds being 25% of everything over 100. Ie 25% of £20.

Thus the current payment would be £10
per week