How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35072
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I was divorced 4 1/2 years ago. There was a court order that

This answer was rated:

I was divorced 4 1/2 years ago. There was a court order that requred me to make maintenance payments for 5 years and continue child maintenance payments until the end of their full-time education. I was made redundant two years ago and and have not been in full-time work since. I continued making the payments at the level in the order but have now come to the end of my savings and cannot afford to continue the maintenance payments. How do I apply to court to get these stopped?
How much has your income reduced by and have you applied to the CSA to take over the Child maintenance assessment?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Pretty much total collapse. The arrangement was based on my salary (in 2007/8) of c.£100,000. I have not got back into full-time employment since redundancy in March 2011. At the moment I am doing some work as a self-employed consultant - sometimes 1 or 2 days a week at £300 a day, but for the last couple of months nothing.


I have not applied to the CSA. Sounds like I should do that.

So far as the Child Maintenance is concerned the fastest way to deal with it is to ask the CSA to make an assessment - this will overturn that part of the court order immediately.
So far as the Spouse Maintenance is concerned you need to apply to the court on a form A available here
and paying the fee of £240
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That seems fairly clear, thank you.

You are most welcome - good luck