How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have been separated for 5 years now, and have two sons

Customer Question

I have been separated for 5 years now, and have two sons aged 15 and 17 who live with my wife, I see them on average once a week but they do not stay with me at any time. Can I serve divorce papers on her now and what are the implications? I paid her £65000 when she left as that was the sum she asked for.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
What is the current financial position of each of you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


I am in receipt of a small teachers pension (£260 month) and pension credit. She is a freelance educational consultant but I do not know what her earnings are, she lives in a house she purchased 5 years ago with her man friend, she used the £65000 I gave her as a deposit. I live in my parents house, they are both dead now and used this as securiy to get the £65000 to give to her. I have now paid that off from money I had invested for a pension.

Chris xxxx

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
What capital assets do you have?