How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My ex husband and I had a separation agreement agreed through

Customer Question

My ex husband and I had a separation agreement agreed through solicitors but not through court re maintenance for our two children now aged 19 and 22. The agreement was for him to pay maintenance until they finished full time education. My son of 19 has just finished his first year at uni and my ex is now being difficult about paying maintenance. If this agreement did not go through the court can it still be enforced?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

CSA child maintenance is payable till the children reach 19 years old or
leave full-time non-advanced education. Non-advanced education is generally
classed as a level, not University, but there are some further education
courses which are not classed as advanced. Full-time courses can be as little
as 12 hours per week.

education courses include: a degree,Diploma of Higher
Education (DHE), NVQ level 4 or above, BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC)
or Higher National Diploma (HND), teacher

'Non-advanced' education includes
the following: GCSEs, A levels

NVQ/SVQ level 1, 2 or 3, BTEC National Diploma, National Certificate and 1st
Diploma, SCE higher grade or similar

If maintence for children is to continue at Uni it must be the Childrens own application, not yours, under the Children's Act. You will not get the money but children will.

There is no legal aid for it.


Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I am online and off-line. Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want
to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive
rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is
my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.