How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34889
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my partner has given me notice of severance of the joint tenancy

Customer Question

my partner has given me notice of severance of the joint tenancy we hold in favour of tenancy in common. I do not agree with this. where do i stand.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question, I will do my best to assist you.
Unfortunately since you have received the Notice the deed is done and the property is now held by you both as Tenants in Common in equal shares.
If you wish to challenge proportions then you will have to apply to the court under the Trusts of Land And Appointment of Trustees Act for an order stating what share of the property you each own.
This is not worthwhile if you are in fact married
I am sorry that the news is not better - but I have to tell you the law as it is I am afraid
If you need further clarification please do not hesitate to ask