How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am currently starting divorce proceedings however have discovered

Customer Question

I am currently starting divorce proceedings however have discovered that the middle name on my marriage certificate is completely wrong. Does this mean that my marriage in legal terms is not valid anyway?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Law Denning :

How long have you been married?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
No matter how long you have been married this error on your marriage certificate does not in anyway invalidate the legality of the marriage
However what you do need to be aware of is that you must address this error on the Petition if you want the Decree Absolute to be in the correct name.
This is done by saying " Jane Alice Smith (erroneously described as "jane Mabel Smith on the marriage certificate)
I hope that this is of assistance