How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34887
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex partner and I share a house he isnt paying toward the

Customer Question

My ex partner and I share a house he isn't paying toward the mortgage, council tax, water rates or house insurance although he does pay into electricity and gas, he is working although tells me he isn't, he wants to sell the house but has lost out on sales due to wanting a bigger price I had to move back in as I have legal custody of our granddaughter and could no longer afford the costs of private renting, I'm now paying the arrears on the mortgage and council tax as well as the usual monthly bills all I have as my income is my pension and special guardianship allowance, we both live in the property but separately can I demand he pays his full share
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question, I will do my best to assist you.
I am afraid that there is no basis on which you can actually force your ex to pay his way whilst he is living there.
If the house is sold you can ask the court to take account of the payments that you have made and give you a larger share of the equity - but there is no other action you can take I am afraid.
I know this is not the news that you wanted but I hope it is of assistance