How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My girlfriend has said my son cannot have my surname is this

Customer Question

My fiancee has said my son cannot have my surname is XXXXX XXXXX?

He is due to be born in July and there is no question of paternity

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question, I will do my best to assist you.
Since you are not married the only person entitled to register the birth of the baby is the mother.
You can be named on the birth certificate if you attend the Registration with her - but it is her choice what name is used I am afraid.
Although disappointing I hope that my answer is of assistance - please let me know if you want any further information