How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35065
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My 16 year old niece was moved by her mother to a friends

Customer Question

My 16 year old niece was moved by her mother to a friend's address following a series of abusive arguments. My sister has now moved back home, and my niece is refusing to go with her. My sister is an alcoholic and lives with my mother who is also an alcoholic -they are both chaotic and abusive to each other. My niece wishes to move in with my husband and I. Where do we stand legally on this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
Can I assume that her mother will not agree to the move?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Probably not

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Given her age if you niece moves to live with you then no one - not her parents social services nor the police - can prevent her from doing so.
If she remains in education you can apply for Child Benefit - and apply to the CSA for maintenance from her parents
I hope that this is of assistance to you - please ask if you need any further information.