How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35069
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Both my self and my wife are Egyptian born citizens who got

Customer Question

Both my self and my wife are Egyptian born citizens who got married in Egypt too.we moved to the UK in 2005 and lived there togather with our child until we got the British citizenship in 2012. Our family life was terrible and never been stable. we moved back to egypt in Feb-2012 where my wife gave here 2nd baby birth and since then she lived there while i continued to live in uk until Sept 2012. after that I moved job to the middle east in saudia arabis and visit them regularely. my wife want to move with me to saudia too while I do not as she can turn my line hill - yesterday she threatened me on the phone that she cn use the UK law against me and stripe from my savings and properties in outside the the UK since we have no thing in the UK - my question is that since we were married in egypt and we both live outside the UK, would the english court accept this case and if it does accept it, would the english court enforce its judegement overseas in the middle-east? I am not keen on divorce for sake of the childeren but on the other hand can not live with this lady.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
What assets are there and where are they situated?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Clair, Actually, I do not have any assets anymore anywhere, I used to won a house under my name in London but sold it a year ago while my wife ws in Egypt and a flat in cairo which was sold too (my wife signed as witness) on the cairo house sale contract.


currently, i have a bank account offshore in Jersey and in Egypt where I keep my savings (my wife never been employed and hence never contribute to those savings)


I work in saudia rightnow and live in a company provided accomodation so do not have any properties in saudia.


So in summary, all of my wealth in the form of cash saved in Jersey and Cairo bank accounts.



So would my wife be able to access those savings or my current salalry/income via English court given that we both do not live in the UK?


and what measures shouldI take to protect my self in case if pursue court solutions?



Additionally, If I divorce here in Egypt where we got married, can she still go to Englisg court to ask for divorce under english laws?


kind regards,



Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Since she is a UK citizen your wife can Petition for a divorce here in the UK IF she can show that she eventually intends to return here.
Frankly I think she woudl struggle to persuade a court of this.
As you have two small children she would certainly have a clear claim on your assets.
However if the divorce proceedings are started in Egypt then she will not be able to make a financial claim in the UK unless she moves back to live here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi clare - thanks for the brief answer.


My two specific queries has not been answered yet which are

1) would english court enforce its rule overseas outside the UK such as in saudia or Egypt - in case if my wife pursue a case in the UK?


2) can UK court impose its ruling on overseas assets outside the UK?


Please help me to get my self clear about these two specific questions.





Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
It is difficult for a UK Order to be enforced in other countries -especially those outside of the European Community - so whilst an Order may well be made it will be nearly impossible to enforce in either of those countries