How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello there My spouse abandoned me over 10 years ago. I do

Customer Question

Hello there
My spouse abandoned me over 10 years ago. I do not have an address for him, and now want a divorce. Must I have his address to proceed, after such a long period without any communication.
Thank you
Gillian Owen
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you.
You must at least make every possible effort to trace him - contacting his family and even instructing an enquiry agent.
Only if this fails can you ask the court to proceed with the Divorce Petition and dispense with service on your ex
The form is here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information