James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace

My partner has left me, we have a mortgage in joint names,

Customer Question

My partner has left me, we have a mortgage in joint names, he is paying it at the moment, but says he is going to stop. I am on employment benefit so can't afford to pay for the mortgage. I sold my house to move for his employment, he contributed nothing into the capital of the house, he now wants me to sell, as he says he is entitled to the mortgage payments he has paid in, I haven't anywhere I can go if i sell, any advice on this matter would help.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
When was it purchased and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The house is worth £160000,the motgage is £45000aprox, I sold my house for £132000, with an outstanding mortgage of £24000, The extra money was taken out to clear my partners debts of £6500 pounds, and for refurbishing the property,we purchased the property 9yrs ago and no children are involved

Is the current property held in joint names and did you protect you investment with a Declaration of Trust?