How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My partner has left me, we have a mortgage in joint names,

Customer Question

My partner has left me, we have a mortgage in joint names, he is paying it at the moment, but says he is going to stop. I am on employment benefit so can't afford to pay for the mortgage. I sold my house to move for his employment, he contributed nothing into the capital of the house, he now wants me to sell, as he says he is entitled to the mortgage payments he has paid in, I haven't anywhere I can go if i sell, any advice on this matter would help.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
When was it purchased and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The house is worth £160000,the motgage is £45000aprox, I sold my house for £132000, with an outstanding mortgage of £24000, The extra money was taken out to clear my partners debts of £6500 pounds, and for refurbishing the property,we purchased the property 9yrs ago and no children are involved


Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Is the current property held in joint names and did you protect you investment with a Declaration of Trust?