How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I want to change my 4 yr old daughter s surname.

Customer Question

I want to change my 4 yr old daughter's surname from that of her father's to be the same as mine. Her father has PR, and does not consent to changing her name. He left us 3 years ago when our daughter was 1. He has contact with our daughter 1- 2 days per month. She resides with me in my care the rest of the time.
As a second best solution can I use a 'known as' name? Can this be used on all her documents except her birth certificate?
My daughter wants to be 'the same as mummy'. I want a link between us, but want to make life for her simpler not more complicated!
Please can you advise me on my options

Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law