How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

We have a mortgage and my husband wants a divorce do I have

Customer Question

We have a mortgage and my husband wants a divorce do I have to pay half the market value to buy him out, or half of the mortgage that has been paid
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.The norm is that you would pay him a share of the equity in the house and the title would be transferred to you as would the mortgage and you would take on the mortgage as your own. The amount you would have to pay him would depend on what other property there is to be divided and what the particular family circumstances are.Happy to discuss further.I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.