How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

i want to change my name by depol. Do i then have to change

Customer Question

i want to change my name by depol. Do i then have to change all documents such as passport? and investments or can they run their course and if a investment is then cashed in my birth name will it still be valid for me to cash in my depol name if i change my bank account name?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

There is nothing illegal about changing your name but then not immediately changing the records of the various institutions that you deal with.

However, it is best practice to contact all those institutions upon change of your name and request that they advise you of their individual requirements to give effect to the change of name.

You are not likely to be able to travel on your current passport until such time as you update it with you changed name.

Whether a particular institution would be prepared to issue, for example, a cheque in your changed name despite having only records of your birth name would be a decision for them. However, almost all will require you to provide evidence of the change of name which would usually mean attending with the original change of name deed and providing them with a copy which is then certified as a true copy of the original.

There would be nothing illegal, if the company’s systems allow, for you to ask that the investment is cashed in to an account in your birth name and then change the bank account name after.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,