How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have a house mortgaged in my name. I married after buying

This answer was rated:

I have a house mortgaged in my name. I married after buying house and after 6 years my wife has left and wants to force me to sell the house and give her half of the equity. I have received a home rights notice from the land registry B94 1. We had separate bank accounts and savings. Where do I stand with the house?
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Do you have children?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no children no common financial committments

How long together before married?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

6 months

She has a claim against the house just as if the house was in joint names. The fact that it is in yr sole name doesn't assist you as you were married.


after 6 years she is unlikely to get half but she will geta substantial chunk, sorry.


I know that this isn't what
you want to hear but there is no point in me misleading you.

Does that answer the question
even so? I am happy to answer specific points.

Can I help further?

don't forget to positively rate my answer J service
(even if it was not what you wanted to hear).

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time L. It is
imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

I am
offline shortly until later and will pick this up then if needed.

Please bear with me today
because I will be online and off-line.

James Mather and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for response but specifically can she force me to sell the house and is this only after a court order? that answers my question in full thanks


Unless you sell
voluntarily, or pay her off, she is faced with making an application to court for an order