How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Mother has to move into a home due to alziemers, how do we

This answer was rated:

Mother has to move into a home due to alziemers, how do we protect our inheritance rather than having to sell the family home and it all go on fees?


What assets does your mother own?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The house and £20k, fees for the home are £23k a year. We already know that she is allowed to retain £20k (ish) when she gets through the rest of the money. But I and my brothers know that she wants us to have some money from the house, we just dont know if thats legal or how to make it legal.....?


If your mother does not have the mental capacity to understand the implications of the decisions she makesthen then it would not even be possible for her to divest herself of any assets in any event I'm afraid.

The local authorities and courts have very wide powers to set aside transactions that are taken with a view to defrauding creditors. They can set aside transfer of property for example. The problem is that it is based on the foreseeability of care. Because your mother already receives care the presumption will be that any transfers are done to defraud creditors.

They local authority would apply to court to have any such transactions set aside, woukd b successful and woukd also add their legal fees so you can see that it could actually compound the problem.

I am sorry.

If this is useful please kindly rate my answer as okay service or above.

Kind regards

Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you