How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

my son is 19 works part time, has had a break in education,but

Customer Question

my son is 19 works part time, has had a break in education,but has returned to college,am i still liable to make payments to my exwife?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the order was made in1998. it says that i must make maitenance payments to my exwife till my sons reach 18 or until they leave fulltime education whatever to be the latter. My youngest son is now 19 left college in march 2011 and worked part time in several jobs. at my insistance he returned to college in sept 2013, My exwife has gone to court claiming he has been in fulltme education all along and is claiming maintenance arrears to march 2011. the college he was attending states his last attendace was 13th march 2011. Do i have to pay this arrears?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The order was made in 1998 and worded that i had to make payments to my exwife until my sons reached age 18 or had left fulltime education. my youngest son is now 19. He had enrolled at college but dropped out in march 2011 and worked in several part time jobs. In sept 2011 at my insistence he returned to college [different college, different course] I stopped making payments to my exwife because my son was now 18 and working.

My exwife has gone to court claiming my son has been in continual education and is claiming that i am in arrears of maintenance. The college he origionally attended states he was last present on 13th March 2011.

will i have to pay her/

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

She seen that letter?

So she is lying to court?

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.


Please confirm that he was only not at college from March to Sept 2011

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He dropped out in March 13th 2012. worked in at least three part time jobs then returned to a different college in Sept 2013.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he left college in March, but started another college in September 2012.

will i have to pay arrears?

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

I am getting more confused by
the dates the more you write. First you say he dropped out in March 2011 and he
went back in September 2011.

Then you say he left in March
but when back in September 2012

earlier on you said you left
in March 2012 and then went back in September 2013.

Exactly when did he leave and
exactly when did he go back?

It does not matter that was a
different college.

What is the course that he is