How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife left the family home taking my 8 year old son with

Customer Question

My wife left the family home taking my 8 year old son with her 2 years ago .She set up house in a rented property
My son came back to live with me 9 months ago because he could not get on with her new boyfriend.
She is still receiving various government benefits .I am receiving nothing.
Although I work full time I do not earn enough to balance my books.
Could you advise me how to proceed and if I may be entitled to some financial assistance
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you.
If your son now lives with you full time then you can apply to the DWP for the transfer of the Child benefit into your name
You will then also be able to claim Child Tax Credits and also apply for Child Maintenance from your ex
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details