How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband is walking away from the marriage, is this righ

Customer Question

My husband is walking away from the marriage, is this right
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well I been marriage for 5yrs now and my husband was the one that bring me in this country and he is the only person beside my daughter i have as family in this counrty. I am a british. my husband husband look down on me and want to control everything. he has no regards for me as a wife therefore i stand not to me use and subject to him at time. he told me last month ending that oh i will be taking my name of the lease when it due therefore I am my daughter need to find a place of our own as he want to go and live with his family in his home town.

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

What would you like to know about this? Do you have a particular

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yea but i do not know more about thise issue but what i want to know is that is it right for he to want to walk away like that. we are marriage

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

you mean, can he simply walk out and leave you?

1. How
old is your daughter?

2. Do
you have a house?

3. What
is the value of the house?

4. What
is the mortgage outstanding?

5. What
savings and assets do you have?

6. What
income you both have?

7. Has
your husband already left?

8. Do
you know where he is?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

our house is a renting house, my duaghter just turned 15yrs, we dont have any income together. i have a reserved saving but i dont much in it due to all the expensive of running the home. i do not have a house and no he has not left yet but treating to leave at the end of this month

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

I am not altogether certain what you are asking.

Even though you are married, you cannot make him stay with you he
does not want to.

Depending on his income, and your income, once you start divorce
proceedings or legal separation proceedings you may be entitled to child
maintenance and spousal maintenance from him.

Can I help further?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that in the UK there is no requirement for a Spouse to remain with in a marriage if they do not wish to do so so sadly yes your husband is indeed entitled to move out if he so wishes
However since he brought you and your daughter to the UK he is under a duty to help house you and to financially support you until you are in a position where you can support yourself.
I hope that this is of assistance to you