How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

child maintenance

Customer Question, I am really struggling to pay. For a while, I was renting out my home while living on a boat. Unfortunately, the tennant left owing me a lot of money and trashed the place. Now living back there. I have tried very hard to find work, but without success. What do I do?? Can I just stop paying ??? I assume not. If I ask my ex if we can reduce it further still, I know what she will say! I could go to the CSA...however, I am concerned that they could take my house or my meagre savings.  I don't have that much savings, certainly below the £65 that the CSA take into account. Also could could the courts make me pay at the original rate on the court order...perhaps even back to when we changed it.  I just want to know what my options are...At the moment my savings are just being eaten away... BTW...I'm 50yrs old...I don't know if that's relevant.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law