How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife moved out of our jointly owned home 8 months ago to

Customer Question

My wife moved out of our jointly owned home 8 months ago to co-habit with another man. I have remained in the house. which is my principle residence. I am the sole occupier and resident. I have changed the locks as my wife has previously entered my home in my absence, then removed and disposed of items I wanted to keep. I also have a responsibilty under my household insurance to take reasonable steps to ensure the security of the property. I cannot do this if my wife has a set of keys and I have no control over who she gives keys to. I also do not want her to invade my right to privacy, particularily if I have guests staying. I have never refused her access to the house and she has been in the house on several occasions whilst I was present. Please could you tell me if she can just come and go into my home as she pleases, without my consent, even though this is no longer her principle residence.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you
Unfortunately I have very bad news for you
As a joint owner of the property your ex is entitled to return whenever she wishes - and can break in without any penalty if she does not have a key.
I am sorry to have to give you this news but it will not change unless there she is violent which would allow you to obtain an order excluding her - or the financial issues are resolved and the property is transferred into your sole name
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you your swift reply Claire. Yes it is dissapointing, however I am learning to roll with the punches. Ce's la Vie.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome - and hope in the long terms things go well for you