How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

I have a court order in the UK that states I have to pay child

Customer Question

I have a court order in the UK that states I have to pay child maintenance until my youngest child leaves full time education. I have 3 sons the eldest has just finished university &
My youngest is now 17 years old & I have no way of knowing if he is still in full time education.
I live in Dubai & have not had contact with my two youngest children for over 3 years they have moved away from what was the family home and I no longer know where they are living!
As my son will turn 17 shortly I intend to stop making any more payments to my ex-wife.
Can you please advise if I can just stop making the payments or do I need to return to the UK to end the court order through the courts?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but need some further information first
Do you have any reason to assume that your son will have left school now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My eldest son told me that he was planning to go to college, but I cannot know for sure as I do not have any contact with the youngest two boys.
I don't know how I can find out for sure.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Does your eldest have any contact with them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes but I would not like to put him under pressure to tell me.
If I stop making the payments would she have to prove that he was still in full time education?
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
If you stop paying then your ex can apply to enforce the Order - but technically all she will have to show that she is still receiving Child Benefit which is evidence that the young person is still in education.
You may decide instead to wait until your son turns 18 at which point it is more likely that he will have finished in education and less likely that any application would be successful
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,