How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

My ex delayed settlement for two years of a 20% payment on

Customer Question

My ex delayed settlement for two years of a 20% payment on the marital property's equity, as mandated by a court order. I incurred legal fees, writing letters, pressing for payment which was ignored, I took time of work seeking legal advice & chasing my ex's solicitor to no avail. After serving written notice of my intentions, I recently travelled from London to Milton Keynes to instruct a solicitor (local to the matrimonal property & issuing court) to enforce the court order; seek costs & a penal attachment as legal advise suggested. Before I could lodge the enforcement order my ex's solicitors responded - (4 weeks after the deadline I set) offering to settle - I am still out of pocket to the tune of £750 , including borrowing money from others; how can I negotiate reinbursement of my past legal fees after my ex refused to settle amicably?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

I gather from what you say that you would accept the offer to settle - if it was increased by a further £750 to cover the legal costs that you have incurred.

The difficulty you have is that an offer to settle is just that - you cannot insist that it is increased. Of course, you can ASK that it is increased - but you then also risk the offer being withdrawn. And you also risk your legal costs going up beyond £750.

If the offer is withdrawn because you ask for it to be increased and that is not accepted by your ex - you may then have no option but to issue your application to enforce, and you could choose to include a claim for costs against your ex in that application to enforce.

Unless your ex's financial situation has changed dramatically since the original order was made, the court is bound to grant your request for original order to be enforced. BUT when the court considers your claim for costs, then your ex can produce a copy of his offer to settle, and inform the court that he was ready to settle, but you insisted taking the matter to court anyway. The court will then be MUCH less sympathetic to your claim for costs. And your legal costs will have gone up significantly.

So - it depends on whether you like to gamble. If you have instructed a local solicitor, he or she may know whether the solicitors for your ex are likely to increase the offer or not. If I were acting for you. I would give the solicitors a ring and have an informal chat over the telephone with then, to get a feel for whether their client might be prepared to go up by £750 - which means that I would get a feel for whether or not they were prepared to put any pressure on their client to be more reasonable. I think that type of approach is often more effective than a formal letter making a counter-offer to settle at £x plus £750.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

I hate to specify - but please rate my answer ok, good or excellent - or I get nothing for my time!!! (so the website keeps all).)

Thanks and best wishes....
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,