How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

An American friend of mine married an African man and lives

Customer Question

An American friend of mine married an African man and lives in Nairobi. They have a baby that is his biologically but had to use a donated egg to conceive. My friend wants to leave her husband and return to the US with the baby. The husband says she can go back but the baby stays in Africa. What are her legal rights? What should she do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you
I am afraid that your friend will need either the agreement of the father or an order form the Court in Nairobi if she wishes to remove the child from Kenya and take it to the States
I hope that this is of assistance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will it matter in the long run during custody battle that the egg was from a doner? I think the husband is using that tactic to say that she is not the 'biological' parent and that since it it his sperm that he has more right to the child.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
That will be a matter for Kenyan law - but it is highly unlikely that this will be a valid argument
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,