How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

I have sole custody of my two children, do I have the right

Customer Question

I have sole custody of my two children, do I have the right to tell their father when they can see them and if Im not happy with his partner for various reasons can I stop my children getting involved with her.

My children are with their dad at mo, I didnt know he was having them overnight because he didnt tell me, I requested he brought them back home but he ignored me! Do I have any rights to stop this and how should I go about it?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children - and when you say sole custody do you mean that there is a Residence Order in place?
What contact do they have with their father and what ar eyour objections to his partner?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The children are 14 and 16, I wasnt married to their dad so when we split up I got sole custody. They see their dad whenever it is suitable for him, he takes my younger son to watch football matches sometimes which I dont have a problem with, his partner has been running me down and I feel she is corruptin my children, my oldest son who is 18 turned nasty and abusive towards me for no reason at all and he was always in contact with my ex's partner. My ex recently moved away and I was annoyed because I felt he was abandoning his children so we fell out and since then he does not let me know when and what he his doing with the children, he totally ignores my tx's, I feel I should have a right to no where they are, also he should let me know if they are stayin overnight, at the moment I dont mind the children seeing their dad but I dont want them to have any involvement with his partner because she is not helping at all

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I do not have good news for you I am afraid.
You have no right whatsoever to be involved in the Contact of your 16 year old who is entitled to make his or her own decision as to what time they spend with their father
You have a little more control over the 14 year old in so far as you could say no - but if your ex then went to court again it would be up to your 14 year old to say what contact they wanted
However you would at least have the right to know when contact would take place.
I am afraid however that given their ages there is no way that you can prevent contact with his new partner.
I am sorry to have to give such bad news but there is no point in my misleading you
If you need more details please ask
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,