How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I am currently separating from my husband and I wanted to know,

Customer Question

I am currently separating from my husband and I wanted to know, what my rights are as to how much equity I am entitled to in our house. We paid £205000 and I put in £140000 and he put in £5000 and then we had a £60000 mortgage. Would after we had settled our mortgage am I only entitled to half or would I be entitled to more?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How long have you lived together and are there any children involved?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?