How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35051
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughter has had a baby and the father was not there when

This answer was rated:

My daughter has had a baby and the father was not there when she registered the birth, although she has used his name as part of the surname. She is in Australia and might not come back. What can he do.
Are you based in england
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what contact has the father had with the child?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The child is eleven months, his name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate yet, and he saw her for 5 hours on a Saturday.If my daughter stays in Australia has he any jurisdictionthere.
Did he see her every saturday?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has been a very tempestuous relationship, which has finally broken down, and the baby has visited the father on her own for about six weeks before my daughter went to australia on the 8th July, we both went but my daughter and baby have stayed on. I want to advise my daughter on the implications of her staying there, if she stays for over 12 weeks.
Whilst the fact that the father does not have Parental Responsibility could technically be seen as meaning that he would not be able to use the Provisions of the Hague Convention on Abducted Children to force the return of the Child to the Uk I am afraid that in practise this is not the case.
The fact that he has been having regular contact with the child means that an emergency application by him for PR is likely to be granted and then he can apply in Australia for the return of the Child to the UK.
Tour daughter will also find that the Australian Authorities will support him - and indeed she will discover that the child will not get the right to remain their permanently without the fathers agreement
Of course this supposes that the father will actually take any action at all.
You can discuss this fully with the Charity Reunite
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you