How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35076
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my ex husband wants to take my 12 year old to america to live

Customer Question

my ex husband wants to take my 12 year old to america to live with him and his new wife , my daughter has lived with me since we seperated over 5 years ago , can he do this even if she wants to go ??
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you
Your ex will need either your agreement or an order from the court in order to remove the child from the Uk permanently.
Obviously if he does apply to the court then the wises of a 12 year old will be of great importance HOWEVER the court is well aware that however exciting and golden such a move appears to a 12 year old the reality my well be very different.
With that in mind you may with to negotiate with your ex first with regard to ways of having a "trial run" to see if this is really what she wants.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details - and if you do could you let me know how long your ex has lived in the States