How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

hi i am recently divorced and my ex will not sign a consent

Customer Question

hi i am recently divorced and my ex will not sign a consent order,eventhough when we sold our house she got £38000 to my £20000 and she agreed not to go for my works pension,now i am being told she might be able to go for any of my future assessts as she will not sign the said consent order
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When were you divorced; how long were you married and what other assets were there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we were married for 25 years, but split shortly after that, in 2010. she filed for divorce in june 2011. and i got the decree absoulute on 4 july 2013. the letter i had before the divorce was final, said that the monies from the sale of the family home were spilt between us she got £38,000 i got £20,000 and that i could keep my pension. she got all the contents of the house, i walked away with a few photos of my children, i have now been told because she hasnt signed a consent order, which my solicitor said i didnt need, she could come back for any lump sum i receive from my pension or any other money. my father died recently and i have received a letter from her solicitor asking of my circumstances since his death, i havent received any inheritance from my father as my mother is still living, but i feel that this letter is now leading up to her claiming anything i get in the future, how could i stop her getting anything , could i transfer any money to a partner, or if i marry and or put money into joint names would she still be able to claim it.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Hi Bryn
What is the Cash equivalent Transfer Value of your pension ?
Are there any children still under 18?
PS - do not worry too much she has no claim on any inheritance you now receive