How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask michael holly Your Own Question
michael holly
michael holly, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7050
Experience:  BA Hons degree Law , Solicitors finals, 20 years experience, trained family law mediator.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
michael holly is online now

My brother has split from his wife of 4 years. They do not

Customer Question

My brother has split from his wife of 4 years. They do not have children together. She has 2 children from her previous marriage. Her ex husband does pay her support. My brother also has 2 children from his previous marriage and another child from a previous relationship. He pays child support for all his 3 children through the child support agency.

My brothers current wife has stated that even though her children are not his, she can seek maintenance for them through the Courts. He's now extremely worried. Can you advise if this is correct?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  michael holly replied 4 years ago.

She can only claim support from him in respect of her children if he has treated them as his own children. Since they are receiving support from their father and presumably know who he is then this is unlikely

I hope this helps. If I have missed something or there are any further points please reply.

Best wishes

Yours sincerely