How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask joannem1965 Your Own Question
joannem1965, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 264
Experience:  I am a solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
joannem1965 is online now

hello any lawyer available?

Customer Question

hello any lawyer available?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  joannem1965 replied 4 years ago.
Boo. Here I am
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have a partner and she just have a baby but she insisted that she wont add my name as the father of the child because of some selfish reason what can i do to add my name and get full right on my child

Expert:  joannem1965 replied 4 years ago.
It doesn’t matter whether you are on the birth certificate or not, you cannot insist on being present when she registers the birth and she can put any name on it that she likes, and she can register it at any time
You could only get added to the birth certificate with a court order or by reregistering the birth.
Here is some reading for you

If you split up, then whether you are on the birth certificate or not, as there is no issue it seems over whether the child is yours or not you have exactly the same rights to contact regardless and you have the same liability to pay child maintenance.

Please do not forget to positively rate my answer if you have not done already so that I get credit for my time here today. Unless you do that, I get no credit and therefore don’t get paid. The thread does stay open. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for the answer but how can i get the court order. what are the procedure.

will i need to get a solicitor to help me out? or can i do it all by self.


Expert:  joannem1965 replied 4 years ago.
You can do it yourself if you know what you are doing or you might want to get a solicitor to do it.
There is no legal aid to this and you would be liable for the all the legal costs.
First thing to do is apply to court for a parental responsibility order

once you have that, you can apply to amend the birth certificate
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thats fine but at the moment the birth certificate has not been issued. She only make a treat to me. so i guess i will have to wait for get the certificate or is there anything i can do to stop her.

Expert:  joannem1965 replied 4 years ago.
No, you can’t do anything to stop her. She can pop out one morning to the shops, and go to the register office and register the birth without you although she does have to make an appointment. You can’t do anything about that.
She does have to register it (or someone has to register it) within seven days
At this stage, you are going to get further with a kind appealing word than a gun and threats and it might be worthwhile smiling sweetly and being extra nice, particularly if you are still together.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your advice. I really appreciate it. T
Expert:  joannem1965 replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome.