How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Does a divorced father have to contribute money when the child

Customer Question

Does a divorced father have to contribute money when the child is over 18 and still in full time education?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Claire and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is payment made via the CSA or a Court Order?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it was initially a court order then because the father just paid what he wanted to it was put in the hands of CSA to take the money from his wages. He still did not pay what they said he had to £100 short each month and now I believe the outstanding amount will be collected - not sure how long that will take. But the eldest child has now left school thisJuly and starts University on the 21st September and now the small amount he did pay has stopped for the 18 year old - and wondered if the Father should contribute some money to help with cost of his maintenance.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Just to check - the payment is via the CSA and the child in question is now 18 and about to go to University.
Is this correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes that is the situation.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
In that case unless there are arrears to be repaid the last payment will be the September payment
The child him or her self can make a Court Application for support whilst at University - but there is no guarantee of Success
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details