How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

hi,I live with my husband and two kids in our house but

Customer Question

hi, I live with my husband and two kids in our house but the house is just in my husbands name he is trying to tell me that I will not get the house when we split up because its in his name I believe there is a form I can fill in to put my name on the registry so he cant sell it with out me

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Claire and I will do my best to help you.
Your husband is wrong - you have an absolute right to remain in the property so long as you are married, you have a clear financial claim on the property - and in the event of a separation if the children are with you then it is likely that it is you who will remain in the property.
If you are concerned that he may try and sell or mortgage the property without your knowledge in the meantime then it is a good idea to Register your rights at the Land Registry using this form
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details