How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have my 6 year old son stay with me 3 nights per week and

Customer Question

I have my 6 year old son stay with me 3 nights per week and take him to and from school. I have had this arrangement for the past 4 years. My ex wife is now starting to dictate what I do with my son when I have him and I disagree with her suggestions. I want to be assured that I have a positive impact on his life and the decisions that get made re his welfare. Can she suddenly stop me having him if I don't agree on other points with her?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Claire and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What kind of issues do you disagree on - and are there any court orders in place?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare


There are no court orders in place. I disagree with the amount of time that she has him attending outside activities and as he is only 6 I don't agree that he should be doing something every night. He has been diagnosed with an iron deficiency of which will make him more tired and I have explained to her that he needs to rest a bit more and I am worried she has him overdoing it. She seems to think it is now fine to tell me that she has also arranged extra training for Football or other things on the nights that I have him. I totally disagree as when I have him on the 3 overnights sometimes 4 overnights he has a routine. She seems to be wanting an argument and I am concerned if I tell her that when I have him he is not doing outside activities that she will stop me having him.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Hi Brian
Assuming that you are named on his birth certificate then you have Parental Responsibility for your son just as your ex does - and you both have the right to be involved in major issues in your child's life.
Equally you are both entitled to make the decision about what your child does while he is in YOUR care - provided he is safe and well of course.
If your ex does try and limit your contact with your child then you can apply to the court for a Shared Residence Order to reflect the time that he spends with each of you
Considering his age you are likely to find that the court agrees with you with regard to activities - although that is far from certain
You can read more about such matters here
and here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details