How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi Claire, me again! I wrote a letter to my (ex) husband

Customer Question

Hi Claire, me again!

I wrote a letter to my (ex) husband explaining that I want to review the visitation agreement and for us to go to mediation or I will apply for a defined court order, I gave him 7 days, and he is point blank refusing to co-operate and tell me who his solicitor is, but he says getting a copy of our separation agreement will cost him £150 so he isn't prepared to get one.

He is also refusing to give me a copy of a document we signed regarding the kids at the time of our separation even though I asked in the letter I sent him that I will require this information. Basically he is folding his arms and doing nothing.

What do I do now?!!

Thanks, Rebecca.

Here is the letter content...


In light of the on-going issues and recent problems that have surfaced regarding our children, I am writing to inform you that I no longer agree to the current visitation agreement and will be seeking a change to the arrangements that were set out in our separation agreement regarding our two children William and Molly. Six years have now passed and with changes in circumstances, I feel the current arrangement is neither realistic nor suitable anymore.

I propose that we attend mediation as soon as possible to discuss a new arrangement. I therefor request a copy of the separation agreement we both signed within 7 days of the date on this letter along with signed and written confirmation that you will attend mediation to discuss a new arrangement.

If I do not hear from you by the 29th September 2013 I will take it that you do not wish to attend mediation and are unwilling to co-operate, or if you do not agree to attend mediation with me regarding this I will pursue the matter by submitting a request for a defined contact order from the courts.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I think asking for the copy of the agreement was a mistake but never mind.
Instead find a local Mediator and organise an intake meeting.
If he will not attend then that is his problem not yours.
If he does not then simply apply to the court on a Form C100 available here
For a Residence and defined Contact Order
The fee is £215 and more information is available here
I hope that this is of assistance
Please ask if you need further details