How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex husband has the children every other weekend, although

Customer Question

My ex husband has the children every other weekend, although we have a financial consent order in place we do not have a child access order, just an agreement that has always worked. This weekend he took the children away to his partners fathers house. My children stayed at this house, whilst my ex husband and his partner stayed at a hotel. i am slightly concerned that my children are staying at a single mans house, that I do not know. I have tried to communicate my concerns with my ex husband stating that I'd like a name and address if this is to happen again. I am told what they do and where they go during his time is not my concern. Although the children have not given me any concerns that there is any wrong doing going on, I would still like to know where they are staying if they are not with a a parent. is there anything I can do and is this a reasonable request.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children?
How long have you been separated?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they are 2 girls, age 7 and 6.

We have been separated nearly 3 years, divorced for 1, and the financial consent order came into place August 2012

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Hi Lara
This is a difficult area.
Your ex has Parental Responsibility for the children and the right to make decisions about their care whilst they are with him.
Equally it is reasonable for you to have some idea where they are if they are not with their father.
One question you should ask yourself - before you take the matter further - is do you ALWAYS tell him if the girls sleepover elsewhere.
If you do then it is reasonable to take the matter further - if not then you may still wish to discuss matters with him - but with a different emphasis
You can read more on the website here
If you do feel it is an area which needs further consideration then I suggest that you try and discuss matters with him using family Mediation ( - it is not likely to be worth a Court Application unless matters deteriorate further
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



we tried mediation during divorce and he pulled out, making a long lengthy divorce after that. So I know this is not a route he would accept.

Yes, he has stated that I sometimes leave the children with my parents, however I have never left them with anyone overnight without me being present, so I can answer that with the truth in that I didnt tell him because I have never done it. I will check the website and try communicating with him again.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I still would be reluctant to take the matter to court - but it does make your approach entirely reasonable!