How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

can I legally move into my grandparents house after they d

Customer Question

can I legally move into my grandparents house after they die?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

If the property is owned by your grandparents, when the second one of them dies, the property will be administered by the trustees of his or her will (and the disposition of the house will be either what is set out in that will).

So, the short answer is that it will be up to the trustees, and if the will leaves the house to you, you probably can, and if the house is going to someone else it's unlikely you'll be able to move in (unless everyone involved agrees, of course).

I hope that is helpful.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your answer.

The house is willed to 3 people. my mother, aunt and uncle. my aunt and uncle are the trustees of the will. my grandad died in1997 and my nan died 3 weeks ago. the body has still not been realeased as my aunt and uncle refuse to take any action and realease the body and register the death. my mum has been told she is unable to do this and they are both trustees. does this change anythin??

Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.
It is obviously a complicated situation generally, but it does mean that there is no prospect of you being able to legally move into the property without your aunt and uncle's permission (as the trustees). Sorry not to be able to give you better news.